[IUG] Acquisitions question for Law Libraries

Hi,

We are exploring the idea of skipping updates/new editions to some annual serial titles. It has been proposed to me that we place firm orders, and then later, when we want the update we place another firm order. This concept makes me extremely nervous as the last time it was tried at this library (before my time) there was no follow up and we ended up with a lot of old, out-of-date books on the shelves, and a huge mess to clean up (my time).

I'm fairly new to law libraries but I'm told this is a fairly common practice(or at least it's not uncommon), so I'm hoping there will be some insight out there. Is there a reasonable way to track this in Millennium? We thought of using the claiming process through the check-in record, but that didn't seem like the best idea.

Also, although it's not specifically a Millennium question, how do you handle this type of ordering as a matter of policy? Off list responses are fine.

Thanks so much!

Amanda

Amanda K. Quist
Acquisitions Librarian