Re: [IUG] globally updating call numbers
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Actually, if the |a in your call number contains only numbers and the decimal point, you can remove just that subfield without too much difficulty -- if you're willing to perform a few extra steps. In Global Update, create a series of 11 "Change variable-length field" commands like this:
Find: |a0 Replace with: |a
Find: |a1 Replace with: |a
Find: |a2 Replace with: |a
Find: |a3 Replace with: |a
Find: |a8 Replace with: |a
Find: |a9 Replace with: |a
Find: |a. Replace with: |a
Run these on your 092 tags again and again until you see nothing but "No changes detected." Then run another Change command to find "|a" and replace it with nothing. Now subfield a is gone.
However, I recommend that instead of changing the 092 directly, you first copy it (using "Copy variable-length field" in Global Update) to some other tag such as 099 and make all your changes to that tag. That way if things get messed up, you can always delete the 099s and start over. Once they're correct, you can delete the 092s. I also recommend practicing this with just a few records.
In fact, since your new call numbers are no longer Dewey numbers, they should really be in a different tag anyway, probably 099 as Jennifer suggested. Also, I'm not sure it's a good idea to have a call number without any |a. I know if my library were to do a call number like this, it might look like: 099 |aDVD ARTS VAT. Be sure to check your indexing rules to see what tags and subfields are indexed as call numbers.
How are your genre terms being added? If you're mapping to them from ranges of Dewey numbers, that's all the more reason to retain the 092s until your new call numbers have been constructed.
I hope this helps.
Richard V. Jackson
Head of Copy Cataloging/Database Manager
Huntington Library, Art Collections, and Botanical Gardens
1151 Oxford Road, San Marino, CA 91108
626-405-2100x2384 / rjackson at huntington dot org
From: innopac-bounces at innovativeusers dot org [mailto:innopac-bounces at innovativeusers dot org] On Behalf Of Donna Peterson
Sent: Thursday, May 21, 2009 4:29 PM
To: cataloging at listserv dot iii dot com; innopac at innovativeusers dot org
Subject: [IUG] globally updating call numbers
We have a project where we are going to be changing the call numbers on
our DVDs from Dewey numbers to genres. Our call numbers are in our bib
records. Our current call numbers look like this:
092 |fDVD |a709.456 |bVAT
We need to remove the |a Dewey # and add to the |f the genre title for
that title. The |b will stay the same. Our new call number will look
092 |fDVD ARTS |bVAT
I've searched CSDirect and the archives. I've learned that we cannot
delete just a subfield, so we can't just delete |a. How should we go
about changing the call # so we remove the |a and add to the |f?
Donna L. Peterson
Technical Services Manager
Carver County Library
4 City Hall Plaza
Chaska, MN 55318
email: dpeterson at co dot carver dot mn dot us
"The unauthorized disclosure or interception of e-mail is a federal
crime. See 18 U.S.C. SEC. 2517(4). This e-mail is intended only for the
use of those whom it is addressed and may contain information which is
privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under the law. If
you have received this e-mail in error, do not distribute or copy it.
Return it immediately to the sender with attachments, if any, and notify
the sender by telephone."
--- StripMime Report -- processed MIME parts ---
text/plain (text body -- kept)
This message was distributed through the Innovative Users Group INNOPAC list
Public replies: INNOPAC at innovativeusers dot org
Update your subscription options: http://innovativeusers.org/mailman/listinfo/innopac