routing item records and statistics

I would appreciate to hear from those libraries that circulate their
routing journals (namely, create an item record and then check it out to
faculty and staff for a period of time): how do you deal with the
returned routing issues? Do you delete the item records right away? Or
keep it to be deleted at a later date?

On a general level, if we delete an item record, what stats is lost and
what stats is still captured by the system? Does anybody know the manual
page number to consult?

Don Zhou
William Mitchell College of Law