Create lists - limit by number of chars?

Has anyone found a way to successfully limit a MARC field to a specified
number of characters when creating lists? I'm trying to isolate records
that were created under previous cataloging procedures in which the call
number for fiction was limited to the first 3 letters of the author's
last name. Is there a way to get the greater than/less than condition to
apply to the character count, rather than character value?

I've called III, who hesitantly said they didn't think this was
possible, but I'm hoping some crafty librarian out there has found a
way.

Thanks,

Andrew Welch
Library Systems Technician