From: David Jones [mailto:DJones at scu dot edu]
Sent: Friday, December 17, 2004 11:40 AM
To: innopac at innopacusers dot org
Subject: Re: Tape Drives on Alpha

>>> Steve dot Heser at mcfls dot org 12/17/2004 6:49:49 AM >>>
At the moment, we are using a 12/24GB DAT backup drive installed in
2001.
We will most likely get a new one, but I am interested to know if
anyone out
there has replaced their backup drive lately, if they had
compatibility
issues with III software, and if performance improved over the long
haul.
Any recommendations? Thanks!
<<<

Anyone that is using digital imaging on the Innopac should talk to
Innovative about switching to a better, faster tape mechanism or
disk-to-disk-to-tape backup. You don't mention if you have the option
for network backups via Legato or if you are a turnkey or software-only
site. It makes a difference in the options available to you. Also, if
you use a network backup system other than Legato, now is a good time to
ask Innovative how support for them is coming in R2005.

Trust me, once you've had DLT or Ultrium, you'll never want to go back
to DAT. Especially if you can do the disk-to-disk-tape option.

HTH,
David

David Jones mailto:djones at scu dot edu
Library Systems Manager http://www.scu.edu/library/
Orradre Library fax: 408-551-1805
Santa Clara University phone: 408-551-7167
500 El Camino Real
Santa Clara CA 95053-0500
"mir war / als haettest du / einen blick auf mich geworfen /
ich mich geduckt / sag mir was das war"
--Wueste by Blixa Bargeld, http://www.neubauten.org/tabula/wueste.php

This message scanned for viruses and SPAM by GWGuardian at SCU (MGW2).
--
This message was distributed through the Innovative Users Group INNOPAC list
Public replies: INNOPAC at innopacusers dot org