job posting - Systems Librarian, San Francisco, CA
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
- Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 15:36:58 -0700
- From: "Caleb Tucker-Raymond" <ctucker@xxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: job posting - Systems Librarian, San Francisco, CA
Department: Law Library
Postion Status: Exempt Staff
Deadline: Open Until Filled
Basic Function and Scope of Job:
This position reports to the Director of the Law Library. The Innopac Systems Librarian will be responsible for all aspects of the administration of the Innovative Interfaces automated library system used by both GGU Libraries.
1. To ensure that the INNOPAC system serves its purpose as the base operating system for all library operations, the Innopac Systems Librarian will use professional expertise in the following library standards and systems to operate the system and serve as a consultant to professional librarians in the Law and University libraries: the Library of Congress Classification System, the Library of Congress Subject Heading System, subject and series authority systems; the principles and application of the Anglo-American Cataloging Rules (version 2); the OCLC network standards and operations; and, particularly, the formatting of MARC records and MARC indexing conventions.
2. Administer all aspects of the Innovative Interfaces INNOPAC library operating system, including, but not limited to, systems options and code tables, system security and back- ups, systems error logs, access and activity logs, managing database and index space allocation, managing access group allocations, creating and maintaining user accounts, installing new software releases, enhancements and new INNOPAC modules.
3. Serve as liaison to Innovative Interfaces, Inc., GGU's Enterprise Technology Services and other library technology vendors as necessary.
4. Customize and maintain INNOPAC WEBPAC and related applications, including the Web Access Management proxy server to ensure access to all subscribed databases for GGU faculty and students on and off campus.
5. Coordinate local INNOPAC system with remote functions performed by Innovative Interfaces, Inc., and serve as GGU's designated liaison to III; work with III in an ongoing way to resolve problems, implement new updates, process tape loads, and other tasks; stay current with Innovative new releases and products and the implications that they have for all library functions; guide and make recommendations to both libraries and the regional campuses concerning III new products.
6. Coordinate and conduct training with librarians and library assistants on new and updated INNOPAC modules , including acquisitions, serials, cataloging, circulation, reserves and electronic reserves, OPAC, and WEBPAC.
7. Work with GGU Enterprise Technology Services staff to plan, test and maintain interfaces between INNOPAC and other University systems (e.g., IFAS, Colleague, LDAP) and University networks.
8. Manage INNOPAC system hardware, including researching user needs and problems, and working with GGU's Enterprise Technology Services department to maintain hardware.
9. Work with library staff in the Law Library and University library on issues regarding delivery of web-based information resources, and advice staff of current trends in library technology.
10. Perform other duties as assigned.
Required: MLS or MLIS degree (or expected Summer or Fall2003 graduation) from an American Library Association accredited institution.
Experience with or course work in library automation.
Knowledge of current developments in the field of Library and Information Sciences.
Knowledge of, or course work in the MARC format system; Anglo American Cataloging Rules, Library of Congress Subject Heading System, Library of Congress Classification System, authority management systems, and the OCLC - MARC system.
Preferred: Prior experience administering an INNOPAC system. Knowledge of Windows 95/NT/2000, LANs, TCP/IP, FTP, web development tools including HTML and Cascading Style Sheets.
Application procedure: Please send cover letter and resume with job number to Human Resources Dept., 536 Mission St., San Francisco, CA 94105. Fax: 415-442-7056. Phone: 415-442-7077. Email: gguresume@xxxxxxxxxx