FacebookTwitterLinkedIn
Login / Register

Login / Register

IUG FORUM

Stay always connected!
  1. Joe Montibello
  2. Sierra/ Millennium/ Encore
  3. Wednesday, May 30 2018, 12:47 PM
  4.  Subscribe via email
Hi all,

We're trying to export a bunch of records for authority control work and we've run up against a limit where bib records greater than 100k characters don't export. In the export we're doing, item records are included so the ones that won't export are mainly the ones that have lots of items attached - many have greater than 500 items, and a few bibs have several thousand attached items.

I found that putting the bib records in a review file, and then run a separate review file of item records based on the bib record file, gets me a list of all the records that will export through data exchange. This means that I'll get 5,000 copies of the bib record, differing only in the item information attached.

I think I could probably wrestle some type of reasonable records out of this, but I'm wondering if anyone out there has managed to either find a better way to export bib records with item data that totals more than 100k characters, or found a way to get that restriction removed.

Many thanks,
Joe M.

joseph.montibello@dartmouth.edu
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Add Comment
Suzanne Accepted Answer
0
Votes
Undo
Hello Joe,

We just went through the same project where we sent our entire database for review. We created lists of 50 000 bib records and exported those via data exchange. Even our serials weren't a problem and some of them have thousands of items, orders, checkins etc. attached.

We split the records and review files by material type and kept the review files to 50 000 bibs, keeping tally of record numbers as we went. So perhaps using more review files with fewer records might help?

Suzanne

suzanne.saunders@mandela.ac.za
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Add Comment
Scott Matheson Accepted Answer
0
Votes
Undo
Hi Joe -
We did a project recently as well, but used an output table that did not include item data at all. (We were authorizing names, subjects, and genres - not sure why you'd need items for authority control, but I'm not an expert.)

I understood the per-record character limit to be a function of the MARC standard.

Scott

scott.matheson@yale.edu
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Add Comment
  • Page :
  • 1


There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!
Guest
Submit Your Response
Upload files or images for this discussion by clicking on the upload button below. Supports gif,jpg,png,pdf,ppt,pptx,doc,docx,xls,xlsx,,txt,rtf,jrxml
• Remove Upload Files (Maximum File Size: 4 MB)
You may insert polls into your post. The poll would then appear in the post.
Vote Options
Captcha
To protect the site from bots and unauthorized scripts, we require that you enter the captcha codes below before posting your question.