Please apply online at https://www.ohiouniversityjobs.com/postings/24085
The Ohio University Libraries seeks applications and nominations for an innovative and collaborative professional to serve as Webmaster. This position provides opportunities to develop expertise and exercise creativity with a variety of web applications while providing valuable services to Ohio University students, faculty and staff. We seek candidates who are comfortable in a changing environment; eager to engage stakeholders in a dynamic, fast-paced atmosphere; committed to working effectively with students, faculty and staff from diverse backgrounds; willing to learn and develop professionally; and energized by an exciting future.
Working collaboratively with Libraries staff, university information technology staff, and vendors, the Webmaster serves as the primary developer for the Libraries’ online sites and services. Reporting to the Head of Web Services, the Webmaster maintains the Libraries’ web presence, develops new sites and features, troubleshoots problems, and proactively oversees web operations. The webmaster provides oversight, guidance and training to the Assistant Webmaster, and may supervise student assistants.
Specifically, duties include but are not limited to:
• Act as primary developer for the Libraries’ web presence, including but not limited to the Libraries’ web site, off-campus authentication server, and online exhibits.
• Configure, manage, and troubleshoot LAMP-based databases and servers in collaboration with university information technology staff
• Participate in the configuration and troubleshooting of software-as-a-service components of the Libraries’ web presence, potentially including but not limited to the discovery layer, subject guides, and digital collections
• Communicate and collaborate as needed with colleagues inside and outside the Web Services department as well as in Ohio University’s Office of Information Technology
• Engage in continuing self-education as necessary to adapt to new technologies and continually improve the Libraries’ web services
• Pursue regular professional development and engagement with the field through research, publications, presentations, participation in regional and national associations, and/or contributing to discussions and developments with library standards as continuing commitment to bring best practices and innovative services to Ohio University Libraries
• A Bachelor’s degree in a technology-related field, or a Bachelor’s degree in any field combined with significant relevant technology certifications, coursework, and/or work experience
• Experience maintaining and troubleshooting LAMP-based web servers and databases
• Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively
• Effective oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills
• Experience installing, maintaining and customizing WordPress, Drupal, or similar content management systems
• Experience with Git or equivalent version control systems
• Experience in an academic library or other higher education environment
• Supervisory experience
Ohio University Libraries takes pride in providing outstanding service to all its clientele. The Libraries is a member of the Association of Research Libraries, the Center for Research Libraries, and is a founding member of OhioLINK. The Libraries facilities include the Vernon R. Alden Library, the Music and Dance Library, and the Southeast Ohio Regional Depository. The Libraries’ online presence includes the Libraries web site, ALICE Catalog, and a variety of other online research tools and exhibits. During the 2016/17 academic year, over 180,000 unique users requested nearly 1 million page views on the Libraries web site.
Ohio University is a comprehensive, state-assisted institution: the Carnegie Foundation has classified our institution as a Doctoral University (higher research activity). Ohio University is located in Athens, Ohio, a culturally rich, sustainable community situated in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains, 75 miles southeast of the state capital, Columbus, and 156 miles east of Cincinnati. With close to 24,000 students enrolled on the Athens campus (almost 30,000 including eLearning) and over 10,000 students on five regional campuses, the university offers a diverse, dynamic and collegial atmosphere to its students, faculty and staff.
Salary & Benefits
Salary is commensurate with experience and education. Ohio University employees enjoy a liberal benefits package; including 21 days' annual vacation, generous insurance, and Ohio state employee or alternative retirement. The Libraries are committed to professional development to strengthen and further expertise in the profession and to bring best practices and innovative services to Ohio University Libraries.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. For full consideration, apply by September 19. Please apply online at https://www.ohiouniversityjobs.com/postings/24085
A complete application contains a CV or resume, cover letter addressing your interest and qualifications for all of the position requirements and any of the position preferences, and a list of three professional references including email, contact information, and an explanation of the relationship.
Ohio University is committed to the diversity of faculty, staff and students. Applicants who will enrich the diversity of our campus are especially encouraged to apply.
Head of Web Services | Ohio University Libraries
email@example.com | (740) 597-1973