I just closed an old discussion about the IUG Forum so I'm opening this new one. Everyone's comments have been very useful, and we've tried to address them as much as possible.
What comments do you have about the forum? What things do you like, and what are some ways you think it should be improved?
Below is a list of improvements that have been made, followed by a list of a few possible improvements I've thought of. What do you think of these?
• There's no more long delay between posting and email receipt.
• The body of an email notification has less wasted space at top.
• The "from" field now has name of the sender.
• Subject lines have had the junk removed and [IUG] added.
• Email notifications of comments have been added.
• All subscriptions now include replies and comments.
• Contents of posts have been added to digests (they used to have only the subject lines).
• Replies and comments have been added to digests.
• You now get email notifications of your own posts.
• All posts, replies, and comments display email address at the end.
• On the page where you read a post, the comments boxes have been hidden (there used to be a big box to write a comment below the post and below each reply).
Possible improvements to make
• Remove extra blank lines inserted by people's email programs.
• If possible, come up with a more reliable way to remove quoted message supplied by people's email programs, rather than depending on the person to add "end reply" to have everything after that stripped out.
Posting by email
• Add addresses so you can post by email to other categories.
• Put these addresses in the "from" field so you can reply to an email notification to post for every category, not just Sierra/Millennium/Encore.
• Give a warning if an attachment is not allowed (currently it just doesn't attach it and doesn't tell you; attachment limits are 2 MB, file types gif, jpg, png, pdf, ppt, pptx, doc, docx, xls, xlsx, , txt, rtf, jrxml).
• Give useful error pages instead of displaying a 404, such as when a post has been removed, when you're viewing a private page and you log off, or when you're trying to view a private page but you're not logged in.
Technology Services Coordinator
Cuyahoga Falls Library